Placement Guidelines for French, German, and Russian

Do you need to take a placement test?

The answer is yes if:

Years of high school language is the determining factor
for placement in modern language courses

Students who are uncertain of their placement or who wish to enroll in a higher-level course take a computerized placement test (French, German, Spanish) or consult with instructors of the relevant language (Chinese, Italian, Japanese, Russian).

If a student's years of high school and placement test score do not match (and placement is lower), the student should go to the appropriate language program director: Julie Baker in French; Ted Peebles in Spanish; and the German instructor for the course they would like to take.

Students with 3-4 years of high school background do NOT belong at the elementary level. They should register for  the intermediate level (221/201).  For Spanish and French 121, there is a block on registration requiring departmental (program director) approval to prevent students from placing themselves into 121 based on placement test score. The elementary course is for BEGINNERS in the language. The intermediate (221) course is a review of structures that students have undoubtedly seen in high school and is only intensive in the amount of time in class (5 days a week with professors/2 practice sessions with undergraduate assistant teachers).

Placement test scores can only move students up a level or exempt a student from the COM II requirement altogether. Students with four or more years of high school language experience are thus strongly encouraged to take the placement test.


Last modified: May 14, 2007


Richmond Home | Academics | Arts & Sciences | Modern Literatures and Cultures | Latin American and Iberian Studies

28 Westhampton Way, University of Richmond, Virginia 23173 | © 2005 | Legal Notices